This post contains affiliate links which means that if you click on the link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission.
After a self-declared retirement from running, I decided to lace up my brand new pair of running shoes to pound the pavement again. My last race was 6 years ago, shortly after my son was born.
It was a mentally grueling process that last race. Physically, my body wasn’t ready to run. Mentally, that messed with my head and I found myself struggling so much during that race. Shortly after I hung my running shoes up & enjoyed a world of weight lifting and HIIT workouts.
Fast forward to 6 years later, I’m stronger & healthier than I’ve ever been. I limited my cardio workouts to no more than 3 miles. And much to both my dismay & joy, my daughter had a love for running. I found myself running races with her & discovering that I was faster than before.
My former running buddies sensed the change & before I knew it, I was running an 8-miler on my Saturday mornings. Then I was shopping for new running shoes. Let’s face it, Crossfit shoes are great for lifting. Pounding the pavement for long periods of time? Not so much.
Who Run the World? Girls! + My Running Essentials
Who run the world? Girls!
That song came on during a particularly difficult part of my 8-miler and I found myself coaching my way through an uphill slope with the aid of Beyonce. Need a motivational song? That’s my pick for the week.
I was really happy with this run. I got my 8 miles in under 2 hours – a HUGE improvement from my pace 6 years ago. It helped that I’ve become more in tune with my body & what it needs to stay efficient. So – here are my run essentials:
- Camelbak Mini Kids Hydration Pack. I’ve had this pack for as long as I can remember. I prefer the kids version because it’s compact and fits my back just right. It also holds everything I need during my race. I fill it with my pre-workout drink for my runs.
- E-shots: My favorite! I have a couple with me during my runs for a boost of energy. It took me awhile to find something that didn’t make me jittery or upset my stomach. These are just right. Miles 4 through 6 were amazing!
- Nike Run Swift Running Shoes – I was very pleased with my new Nike running shoes. I don’t usually break in my shoes with an 8-mile run, but these were so supportive from the get go. I was very happy that my knees and shins weren’t strained in these.
- Elsa Pataky – Strong Playlist on Apple Music. I usually use this playlist during my weightlifting sessions. Turns out it’s great for runs. I love that you get some great female artists about midway to help push you with a great beat. This run’s motivational song, as mentioned, was Beyonce’s Who Run the World.
- Amazon Sports Bra Pack. Goodness, you can find anything on amazon! I love these sports bras. Affordable but functional.
- Elite MD Facial Sunscreen. Always protect your skin. I apply this everyday & it’s my absolute favorite. Absorbs quickly & doesn’t feel too oily.
So it looks like I’ll be running more often and am actually looking forward to singing up for some races this year.
What are your favorite run essentials? Share in the comments!