I love blogging for different reasons. I love documenting my life – mostly because I steam through it and often wish I took a breath to soak it all in. Writing helps me slow down and remember the details. Other times it’s simply an outlet to share my outpouring of emotion — good and bad. It’s also a way for me to connect with other people with the same interests as me.
My blog has evolved a lot in just the last couple of years. I’m far from where I want to be with my blog but am taking it a step closer every day. For those of you who want to venture into the world of blogging, here are some tips I’ve learned over the years.
5 Tips for New Bloggers
- You don’t have to blog about everything. Every now and then I come across an old post with one line on it. Yikes. It served no purpose and it probably meant very little to my small population of readers. Social media is out there for that. Twitter will help you accomplish those one sentence blog posts.
- Jot down your ideas. Big or small, jot them down. On days when you don’t know what to write, go through your book of ideas (or iphone notes if that’s better) and see what tickles your fancy. Sometimes I’ll break out big projects – like a stylized shoot – and break it up into smaller posts to help me get to the big end product.
- Editorial Calendar. This was such a life saver for me. It helped me plan my month and weeks with writing ideas. You don’t have to force yourself to write when you’re not feeling inspired. Plan something ahead of time and it helps build ideas in your head
- Spread the inspiration. Often times I’ll feel a burst of inspiration in one sitting…then I’d post all of the posts in one day. Yikes! The Editorial Calendar mentioned in #3 helped me plan regular posts on my blog and spread it out over time. Very helpful for days when I don’t feel like writing at all.
- Meet other bloggers. Visit other bloggers who share your interests. COMMENT on their blog and leave a link to your own. I’ve created amazing relationships and met some very interesting people simply by commenting and engaging with other bloggers.
Do you have a blog? Share your link in the comments!