As Mike and I celebrate our 4th year anniversary, I thought I’d share some tips that have made our relationship strong and happy. We’ve been together for over 13 years, 4 of that being married. And when you’re with someone for that long, you experience your own fair share of ups and downs.
Luckily for us (at least for me, ha!), the scales are definitely tipped towards good. So here are 5 things that work for our marriage:
- Pick your battles: We have our share of small squabbles, but rarely does it escalate into anything more than that. It’s more important for me to be heard when something is truly important. And when he’s serious, I know it’s something that matters to him too.
- Family Time: Always, always set aside a part of your day for family time. We eat our meals together. We end our days asking about each other’s day. We take walks together. Whether it’s a whole day family event or a 15 minute walk – we always make time for family time.
- Support: We don’t share all of the same interests, but even if we don’t, we support each other through each of our endeavors. He’s been at the finish line at every one of my races. I help out when I can, as he works his way through his latest home renovation project. I’ve always felt his support in everything that I do.
- Take a Staycation: Now that we have a baby, it’s not as easy to hop a plane for a nice 2 week getaway. So we enjoy staycations. Road trips, days in the city, a weekend in a hotel….Vacations are so rejuvenating and give a break from the routine. It’s gives us a nice jolt of inspiration, fun and a chance to re-energize.
- Laugh Laugh Laugh: When Mike and I went on our couple’s retreat for the church during our engagement, I still remember when the priest asked the group “What makes your relationship work?” And my answer then is the same now….laughter. Every day I’m with Mike, I laugh. And that laughter has kept us young. It washes away all of the day’s stresses and brings it back to what really matters…..our companionship. Who needs the fountain of youth when you have laughter?