Losing weight. Fitting into a pair of jeans. Lose 10 pounds….or 30. I’ve tried to do this over and over through the years. There’s never been a consistency to it though. Until now. I’ve had several health issues since having kids. Age and stress have only added to those issues. After I was admitted to the ER with possible heart attack symptoms, it really dawned on me that this is no joke. I cannot be lazy when it comes to my health. There are many things in this world I can’t control, but what I do to my body and how I live my life can be.
7 Things I Learned About Living Healthy
- Life is a choice. I am the only one who can make the choice about how I live my life. I can choose to make bad health choices or good ones. The good ones will be better for me and my family. It really isn’t that hard of a choice if I keep that in mind.
- I don’t need a gym or a class to exercise. All I need are my body and the motivation to move.
- Ending the “work day” is important to finding balance. I need to give myself time to decompress and let go of stress. That’s more important than my work — even my photography.
- There is no shortcut to living healthy. There isn’t a magic protein shake or pill that will get you what smart choices will.
- I CAN cook 1 new recipe a week and sometimes, they taste good! Every week, I’m learning a new and healthier recipe to feed myself and my family. It’s done wonders for our budget and our health!
- Preparation is key. I know what times of the day I just love to snack. I always have almonds, fruits and cheese readily available to snack on. I eat it sloooooooowly to make it last longer and fill me up right.
- Indulgence is needed. I don’t deprive myself of a slice of cake or a cone of ice cream. But maybe I go lighter for dinner that night or stick in an extra walk outside. Again – my choices will make a difference.
So far I’ve lost 10 pounds. I workout, in some way, at least 5 days a week. I play with my kids outside as much as I can – even if it’s just to give them some fresh air and bring their senses to life. I’m feeling very good with the direction I’m going in.
I’ve got to give a shout out to the No Excuse Mommy Group of Vacaville too. Such a motivating and inspiring group of moms who work together to make us stronger. I love this group!