It’s the first day of Blogmas and your blogger brings to thee….shopping for a Christmas tree! 🙂
Welcome to the first post of the 12 days of Blogmas, hosted by The Coastie Couple and The Petite Mrs. The first day of blogmas is about Holiday tradition and our family always kick off the holiday season by shopping for our Christmas tree.
The weekend after Thanksgiving, after we’ve had our fantastic dinner and amazing leftovers, we head on over to our favorite Christmas tree lot – Larry’s Produce in Suisun Valley, California. I love bundling the kids up in their hats and jackets and just letting them roam among the trees until they find the fattest one with “no holes”.
Here’s some of our criteria for picking out our tree:
- It has to be tall…at least 6 feet.
- It has to be green. Kind of a given, but you’d be surprised.
- When you bend a branch, it doesn’t break. That makes me think it’ll last through the next few weeks, at the very least
- It smells good — oh my Malia loves smelling the trees
- It has to be fat — to protect all of the presents, naturally.
- It can’t have “holes” — No gaps please. We love nice full trees
- It has to be a pink tree. Okay, that one is Malia again. She’s happy enough if it has a few pink ornaments
Of course, decorating the tree goes hand in hand with shopping for a tree. As the kids get older, it’s fun seeing their excitement at unwrapping the ornaments from their tissue bundles and placing them on the tree. I’ve long ago given up on having a “pinterest-worthy” tree and love the general chaos of a tree decorated by my kids.
I think our tree is just gorgeous anyway. 🙂