DIY Gold Glitter Vases
For my daughter’s princess party, I decided to go with a Pink & Gold theme for the decorations. Since we were having a dessert table, I wanted a fun and easy way to display the rice crispy treats while adding a pop of dazzle to the table.
I visited a local thrift store, Opportunity House in Vacaville California, to find tall glassware. For $1.00 a piece (plus a 30% President’s Weekend discount), I found these two pieces that fit the bill. Total bill came to about $1.50 for both. Not bad!
Other items I used:
- Elmer’s Glue
- Gold Glitter
- Sponge applicator
- Tray or tub (to catch all of the glitter)
Creating your Gold Glitter Vases
- Clean and dry your vases thoroughly
- Open the Elmer’s Glue and pour a generous amount into the vase
- Use the sponge applicator to spread the glue around the inside of the vase. Be sure to cover all of the glass surface as this is how the gold will stick to the glass
- Pour the gold glitter into the vase
- Swirl the glass so that all of the glue is covered by the gold
- Apply more gold as needed.
- Allow to dry overnight. The glue will dry clear and the gold will shine through
- I apply the glue and glitter on the inside so that any spills or loose glitter is contained INSIDE
- Applying it to the inside also makes it easier for you to hold the glass as you swirl the gold glitter around.
- You will need to work fairly quickly so that the glue doesn’t dry before you apply the glitter
Here is the finished result. As you can see, the gold comes through very nicely once the glue dries. Since the glitter was applied on the inside, any glitter that fell off was contained in the glass which made me happy. Plus, with the glitter on the inside, my daughter was less likely to start peeling the glue off of the vase.
Have a DIY project you’d like to share? Submit your project to our blog as a guest blogger.
[…] DIY Gold Glitter Vases […]