We’re approaching nearly 3 months of being shelter in place in our household. Perhaps it’s passed that since I’ve lost track of time, but in the first week you could not have convinced me that Shelter in Place was going to be something I would enjoy. Fortunately, I found so much more good out of it than bad. I was forced to slow down, simplify and simply enjoy all the awesome things I already have.
My Favorite Things about SIP
- I grew a garden! I’ve long been known as the one who couldn’t keep anything alive. Even plants as easy as succulents, I’ve managed to kill. My husband started feeling bad for the poor, living things that he felt bad when I shopped for plants. During SIP, I’m able to enjoy my morning coffee while watering my plants. I find myself harvesting fresh mint leaves to add to my water or to add to my morning yogurt.
- Home redecorating. With us being at home and using all of the spaces, we found ourselves redecorating to make everything more functional (or at least pretty). My office looked like a big storage space at one point, but now it’s in order with an awesome work area and a new sitting area. Yes, I have also managed to keep my indoor plants alive.
- More home cooking. I haven’t mastered the art of shopping on a budget but I am learning to plan my meals better & I’m actually enjoying it! My dad was visiting us during this time and I managed to pick up some techniques from him. #WIN
- My kids are being kids. I wrote about this previously when I wrote, My Kids are Enjoying My Childhood, but it is an amazing thing. We don’t have to default to going to the movies or taking them to a jump house. We simply open the garage and let them go on their adventures.
- Better Work-Life balance. All of these simply provide for better work-life balance. Without having to worry about getting ready or driving to work, I can start and end my work day early. Instead of chatting at the coffee station, I’m throwing in a load of laundry or enjoying a coffee on the back patio.
How has Shelter In Place changed your life?
Janie Yap says
Every cloud has a silver lining – even in challenging times like this, some good can come out of it. This has definitely been a period to slow down on my fast-paced life and spend more time on my hobbies – like gardening and cooking! Hope you and the family are doing well.
Janie Yap recently posted…How to Drill a Hole in a Clay Pot
Thank you so much for stopping by! Definitely a silver lining! 🙂
Maryrose recently posted…Pizza + Pups Soiree